Updated: Feb 19
Rapid Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) is a Rapid Molecular test that is certified by the Ministry of Health (MOH) Malaysia as the Gold Standard Test used to detect Covid-19 virus in the patient’s body. For this test, we collect samples through Nose Swab (Nasopharyngeal Swab) and Throat Swab (Oropharyngeal Swab) which will be sent to a certified Medical Lab to be analyzed.
We use the RT-PCR test to confirm the diagnosis and patients can know whether or not they have an active Covid-19 infection, which uses specialized equipment and often takes at least 24 hours to produce a result.
Advantages of RT-PCR test
- Widely used: This test is considered the gold standard for detecting the presence of infectious viruses at the moment.
- Accurate results: PCR test is 99% accurate and 99% sensitive which reflects high sensitivity and specificity, thus producing minimal false-negative results.
Disadvantages of RT-PCR test
- Time: RT-PCR test can yield results within 24 hours compared to the RTK Covid-19 test (Rapid test) which the results can be obtained in 15 minutes.
- Expensive: This test is more expensive compared to the RTK test due to the fact that the sample needs to be sent to a lab for processing.
- Uncomfortable for some people: Deep nasal swab may cause some irritation and pain that can be very uncomfortable for some people, especially small children
The positive test result indicates that you have been infected with the Covid-19 virus infection. This positive result should not be repeated within 90 days since infected individuals may still have fragments of virus genetic materials even after the risk of transmission is reduced to minimal.
Who should get tested?
Those who are experiencing Covid-19 symptoms, as shown below:
Most common symptoms:
Loss of taste or smell
Less common symptoms:
Aches and pains
Rash on the skin, or discoloration of fingers or toes
Red or irritated eyes
Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
Loss of speech or mobility, or confusion
Our Community Doctors strongly recommend that you seek immediate medical attention if you have serious symptoms. Always call before visiting your doctor or health facility. You may communicate with our Community Doctors HERE or call +601137252344 if you have any inquiries.
People with mild symptoms who are otherwise healthy should manage their symptoms at home.
On average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days.
Our Community Doctors provide services to all patients within Klang Valley, which includes Ampang, Kuala Lumpur, Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Bangsar, & Shah Alam.